Post and Recipe By: Rebecca Perkins
Hey and good afternoon everyone! It's Tuesday, and only 5 days until Christmas!!
Is everyone ready? I'm like 70% there (if I'm being generous)... and I'm hoping to be completely done with my shopping by Thursday so I can spend my Friday baking and relaxing with my 4 men before we make our way up to New York. I am so looking forward to this Christmas, it will be the first time in 6 years that my sister will actually be home on Christmas day!! Whoop whoop! I cannot wait to see my littlest guy and my nephew running around together Christmas morning... its going to be fantastic!!
So... as promised I'm here to share with you Cookie #3 in our list of Holiday Favorites...
Brown butter cinnamon crackle cookies...
They are a deliciously spicy twist on the deliciously delectable chocolate crackle cookie... if you've never heard of chocolate crackle cookies, get out from whatever rock you're hiding under, and go educate yourself... they are the bomb dot com...
These cookies are tender and chewy on the inside, with a sweet sugary crunch on the outside, plus they have a taste reminiscent of cinnamon toast... mmm, that brings me back to my childhood... puddles of melted butter and slightly caramelized cinnamon sugar on golden toasty potato bread... man, my mom knew how to make the BEST cinnamon toast ever, I'm not kidding... ask my sister, she'll tell ya!
Brown Butter Cinnamon Sugar Crackle Cookies
recipe adapted from "Cookies and Cups"
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Place the butter in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat until the butter melts and begins to foam, continue to cook, whisking frequently until the butter becomes an amber brown color, this should take 2-3 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and set aside
- Add the granulated and brown sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pour the cooled butter into the sugars and mix on medium speed to combine. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing just until smooth
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the flour mixture until just incorporated... Cover the dough and chill for at least 1 hour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- Roll the chilled dough into tablespoon sized balls, then roll each ball into the granulated sugar, then in the powdered sugar and place onto the prepared pan, about 2- inches apart
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are set, and all crinkled
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling
Just look at those "cute as a button" cookies... all wrinkly and crinkly, kinda like cute, sweet little old people!
well, I'm off to do some shopping... hopefully the baby will be cooperative and not give me any lip while I'm dragging him all over south jersey in search of presents for his older brothers...
Take care, enjoy the rest of your Monday, ad ill be back midweek with yet another of our favorite cookies... and remember
Christmas cookies and happy hearts, this is how the Holidays starts!